Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Diminishing Acne Scars

Acne scars will be the death of me. I've fought a long and hard fight against them but always seemed to end up back where I started again. Until now. The battle finally looks like it's coming to an end..

I've suffered from acne for a good chunk of my teenage years. I am now 22 and still face the few occasional pimples but nothing compared to the pizza face I had in my younger days. I would buy every type of acne treatment on the market and when that didn't work, my stubborn self would resort to popping my pimples. For some reason, I thought a temporary flaming bump was way more atrocious to look at then the aftermath it would leave behind. Little did I know these pesky little scars would follow me up until today. Since then, I've tried whitening creams, glycolic peels, sulfuric masks, scrubs, masks, you name it.. but nothing would work. It's pretty bad that I actually started thinking about saving up a motherload to get laser treatments. Until I noticed that maybe I wouldn't have to... and I have a couple products to thank for that.


1. African Black Soap - I recently purchased Madina's African Black Soap because of the great reviews it received on the web. There's some debate about this soap not being the "original" pure African Black soap but I definitely love what it's doing for my skin right now. Formulated with cocoa butter and vitamin E, it's targeted towards diminishing blemishes and marks. It also can be used for your body wherever you need to even out your skin. It's only been a few days and I already see an improvement in the fading of my scars. If this doesn't work for you, it still makes an excellent cleanser as it removes virtually EVERYTHING from your face. My face always feels squeaky clean after using this every night. It also helps that it smells creamy and barely leaves a print on my wallet.

2. Bio Oil - This product has also received a lot of acclaim on the web. I was hesitant to use it at first because I have oily skin. I thought Bio Oil would just make my face oilier and break me out even more but I was wrong. This was the first successful product that has aided TREMENDOUSLY in fading my acne scars noticeably. Yes, even my friends/family members have seen the difference in my skin. Although it might be a little steep ($10-$13) for a drugstore product, the results are amazing and a 2.5 oz bottle will last you probably a year. After cleansing I just dab 2 drops using my fingers and rub it onto my scars, every night and morning. This product requires patience and results won't happen if you decide to give up after a few weeks. I've been using this for about 3 months and my skin is slowly reaching the level I want it to be. Trust me, it will be so worth it the day you wake up with glowing flawless skin.

3. Exfoliation - Along with cleansing, I try to scrub away dead skin cells every once or twice a week. I either use the Aspirin mask (mixed w/pure Aloe Vera gel), St. Ives Apricot Scrub, or St. Ives Green Tea Scrub. Exfoliating at least once a week is so essential for renewing your skin.

4. Water - Water is the winning beverage for your face and body. It flushes out toxins and wastes out of your system but also hydrates your skin to deliver the nutrients it needs to speed up the healing process. While 8-10 glasses of water alone will not magically cure your acne/scars, it plays a huge role in the process.

5. Giving your face a break - Let's face it. We all love makeup. But foundations contain way too many foreign chemicals and ingredients to be keeping on your face 24/7 (Whether I'd like to admit it or not, me not removing my makeup properly before going to sleep at night was a huge contributor towards my acne/scars). If possible, skip the foundation and/or concealer or choose a couple days out of the week you can to avoid it. Let your skin breathe and regularly wash your makeup brushes before applying for the next time! Also be sure to wash your pillowcases every week, or sooner!

These products/routines have definitely aided in clearer skin for me. What are some products you recommend that have worked for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment